Two Girls in Front of the Lincoln Statue at Grand Army Plaza, c.1890
Original photograph courtesy of The Brooklyn Historical Society. Digital copy available at the Prospect Park Archives.
The Lincoln Statue, designed by Henry Kirke Brown in 1869, originally stood behind the fountain at Grand Army Plaza. In June of 1895 it was moved to its present location facing the Lake at the Concert Grove. Behind the statue we see a fountain, designed by Calvert Vaux, and the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch. Visible in the far background of this early photograph are the Mount Prospect Reservoir tower and the treetops of the Grand Army Plaza entrance.
Previous photo | Next photo Close window