Prospect Park Archives
Prospect Park’s menagerie, beginning with the Bear Pits in 1890, was located to the north and east of the Dairy. In 1893 "seven seals arrived, one buffalo, from the estate of Samuel B. Duryea, three red foxes, three bears, one sacred cow, two white deer, five red deer, seven seals, and twelve to fifteen peacocks." In 1935, all of the menagerie buildings, with the exception of the Elephant House (built in 1916), were replaced when the Prospect Park Zoo was built.
Previous photo | Next photo Close window