About the Rose Garden
The Rose Garden is tucked away in the northeast section of Prospect Park in a heavily wooded that is surrounded by steep hillsides. Roughly 2.5 acres can be used for programs and amenities.
The area now known as the Rose Garden was originally intended by Park designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux as a Children's Playground, complete with a Carousel guided by a horse. In 1885, as part of the City Beautiful Movement, the landscape was transformed into a rose garden.
In 1969, the roses were long gone and, in an attempt to rehabilitate the area the City had fountains installed in the garden's three central pools. These were promptly turned off when underground pipes began to leak, flooding the entire area. The fountains were never fixed, and the pools have remained dry ever since.
Today, this area is tended by Prospect Park Alliance landscape crews and dedicated volunteers. The garden now remains quiet, unnoticed, and underused, presenting a great opportunity for you to help the Alliance shape the future of this corner of the Park.