Join Prospect Park Alliance and community partners for our annual Earth Day Celebration at the Prospect Park Audubon Center! This environmental extravaganza, which focuses this year on protecting Prospect Park’s beloved animal species, takes place from 1–4 pm on Sunday, April 28.
Earth Day attendees will enjoy arts and crafts, discovery walks, catch-and-release fishing and of course nature games throughout this jam packed afternoon of activities, all set to the funky tunes of a live DJ!
Among the activities at this afternoon of environmental fun:
- Catch-and-Release Fishing: Learn all there is to know about fishing in the city with , and try your hand at the sport, catch-and-release style with the DEC Bureau of Fisheries
- Insect Discovery Hike: Discover Prospect Park’s not-so-creepy crawlies on an Insect Discovery Hike with the Urban Park Rangers and get a chance to meet Pepper, a diamondback terrapin.
- Spring Migration Bird Walk: Learn the importance of green spaces like Prospect Park with a Spring Migration Bird Walk, and discover issues birds face in urban environments and how you can help.
- Meet Live Raptors: Have you ever wanted to see the fastest animal on the planet up-close? Or how about one of our local owl species? Wildlife In Need Of Rescue and Rehabilitation will have a special exhibition of raptors rescued from all around NYC and Long Island. These birds will be on display from 1-4 pm.
- Lakeside Clean-Up, Composting + Much More: Lend you hand by helping to clean-up Brooklyn's only lake. Plus, get moving with Shape Up NYC. Leave with an understanding of how composting works, to make a difference in your own home!
Participating community partners include Brooklyn Bird Club, New York City Audubon, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, NYC Compost Project hosted by Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Prospect Park Zoo, NYC Parks’ Wildlife Unit, Clean Air NY, Audubon New York- For The Birds, Urban Park Rangers, Purslane Catering, Shape Up NYC and the Brooklyn Fishing Club.