Assistant Gardener (Seasonal)
Prospect Park Alliance is a non-profit organization that works in partnership with City of New York and the community to restore, maintain and operate Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s flagship Park. The Alliance cares for the natural environment, preserves historic design, and serves the community by providing public programming and Park amenities. Recently, the Prospect Park Alliance completed Lakeside, the most ambitious project in Prospect Park since its creation. The 26-acre redesign of the southeast corner of the Park features the LeFrak Center at Lakeside, designed by the architects Billie Tsien and Tod Williams in collaboration with the Alliance, which provides seasonal ice skating, water play and a café, as well as the restoration of the surrounding landscape.
Prospect Park Alliance is seeking for two Assistant Gardeners to join the Horticulture Crew in maintaining the Lakeside Center gardens and surrounding areas.
- Weeding, mulching, pruning, general plant care
- Planting trees, shrubs & herbaceous plants
- Irrigation installation, maintenance and hand watering
- Load and unloading plant material onto and from transportation vehicles
- Trash and debris removal, fence repair and installation
- Lawn installation, over-seeding, and care
- Weedwhacking and mowing
- Interacts with park patrons and volunteers in a professional and courteous manner
- Two or more years of horticulture or landscaping experience
- Degree or Certificate in Horticulture preferred
- Positive, self-motivated and possessing a strong work ethic
- Experienced with mowers, string trimmers, blowers, etc
- Strong plant and weed identification
- Green roof or irrigation experience a plus
- Chainsaw/Chipper experience a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to do all the work required of the position
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This is a seasonal benefited position which offers 40-hours per week at $17.25 per hour.
The Prospect Park Alliance is an equal employment opportunity employer. No phone calls please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.