Fun on the Farm
Join Prospect Park Alliance at the Lefferts Historic House to learn how sheep’s fleece is transformed into wool, and celebrate the return of the goats to Prospect Park! Join the Alliance on a parade to the Prospect Park Zoo to watch a sheep-shearing demonstration, and collect fleece for washing, carding, spinning and felting at Lefferts. A special self-guided tour will be available to see our resident goats at work helping restore the woodlands nearby!
- Self-guided Goat Tours, 1– 4 pm: Visit the goats and learn about their role in Prospect Park Alliance’s woodland restoration efforts
- Wool Carding and Drop Spindle, 1– 4 pm: Learn how to card wool using special tools and how to spin with a drop spindle.
- Spinning Demonstrations, 1–4 pm: Come and meet our resident Spinner, Catherine Conrad and see how she spins wool fibers into thread.
- Parade from the Zoo, 1:30 pm: Join Lefferts staff on a parade from the Zoo
- Felt Balls, 2–4 pm: After the wool is washed and carded, you can try your hand at making a felt ball. Use the wood fibers to shape a ball and see if you can make it bounce!
- Wool Washing, 2–4 pm: After the fleece is shorn from the sheep, the next step is washing it! Help staff clean the fleece and get it ready for felt balls and spinning!