Fishing Rules + Safety
Please protect wildlife habitats for everyone’s enjoyment by catch-and-release fishing in designated areas only.
- Fishing is strictly catch-and-release, and permissible in designated areas only. See our map for permitted fishing areas.
- Fishing is prohibited from bridges and in fenced areas.
- No barbed hooks or lead fishing weights. Use needle-nose pliers to flatten the barb.
- No trapping of fish or other wildlife.
- Fishing line can entangle birds and other wildlife and result in injury or death. Discard fishing line fragments and hooks in marked fishing line bins or trash cans.
- Persons age 16 and over are required to have a New York State fishing license. Learn more on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website.
Please note: Blue-Green Algae Blooms can be harmful to people and pets. Learn more about safety during blooms.