Rules + Safety
The following rules are based on New York City and State regulations and statutes.
- Smoking is prohibited in all New York City parks. Smoking is allowed on sidewalks outside parks, including sidewalks that form the perimeter of parks. For more information visit Smoke-Free Parks and Beaches.
- Use litter baskets.
- Barbecue only in designated areas.
- Stay on the paths in the woodlands.
- Keep your dog leashed, except during official off-leash times and locations.
- Do not release any wildlife (domesticated or other) into the Park.
- Do not plant or remove any vegetation (flower, tree, shrubbery, etc.) in the park without authorization of the Parks Department.
- Take home all fishing line and hooks to protect wildlife.
- Play music at a low volume; amplified music is strictly prohibited.
- The use of toy or model planes, kites, and drones is not permitted in Prospect Park. In Brooklyn, operation of these planes, kites, and drones is permitted at Calvert Vaux Park and Marine Park.
- No open or ground camp fires are permitted in the park at any time in any location.
If you need assistance while in the Park:
- Locate one of the many yellow police call boxes located throughout the Park.
- Flag down an official Parks vehicle or Parks Enforcement Patrol vehicle or personnel.
- Call 311 to report vandalism or disruptive activity.
- Dial 911 in an emergency.
For further information about rules and safety in all city parks, please visit the NYC Parks website.