Park Drive Rules + Safety
To ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment of the Prospect Park Drive, please follow these important rules and guidelines. Please note current pilots happening on the Park Drive. Learn more about these pilots on our Park Drive Pilot page:
- March 2023 through September 2024: NYCDOT is piloting a new lane configuration on the East Drive to improve safety by adding an outer pedestrian lane.
- June 2023 through May 2024: NYC Parks is implementing a citywide pilot to allow Class 1, 2 and 3 e-bikes and e-scooters to use the cycling lane on the Park Drive.
Rules for Cyclists and Skaters
- Cycling and skating are permitted only on the main Park Drive, Center Drive and Wellhouse Drive, and prohibited on pedestrian paths. Cyclists must walk their bike on pedestrian paths, except for children under the age of 14. View our Park Drive Map.
- Cyclists and skaters must follow all traffic signs and signals, including stopping at red lights and following park rules related to speed and safety as posted on the NYC Parks website (see Section 1-04, L9). No person shall operate a bicycle or similar vehicle in a manner that endangers any other person or property. Violation of this constitutes a misdemeanor.
- East Drive from Park Circle to Grand Army Plaza: Cyclists and skaters must travel in a counterclockwise direction and use the two center lanes. Please use the right center lane marked for cyclists and vehicles to pass, and be mindful of authorized vehicles also utilizing this lane. Reminder that the inner and outer lanes are for pedestrians.
- West Drive from Grand Army Plaza to Park Circle: Cyclists and skaters must travel in a counterclockwise direction and use the center lane, and can use the right lane to pass. When passing, please be mindful of authorized vehicles utilizing the right lane.
- Bicycles must be equipped with bells or similar warning devices, and have headlights, tail lights and reflectors after dark.
- Helmets are required for children 14 and under, and are suggested for everyone riding bikes or skating.
Rules for Pedestrians, Runners and Walkers and General Safety Guidelines
- Pedestrians, runners, walkers and children under 14 on bikes must use the designated pedestrian lane, located along the interior of the park, and may travel in either direction. East Drive from Park Circle to Grand Army Plaza: In the pilot area, there is also a pedestrian lane on the outside lane of the Park Drive.
- Pedestrians at crosswalks should push the traffic signal button, and wait for a walk signal then proceed with caution, and obey all traffic signals and road signs on the Drive.
- There is a yellow emergency call box approximately every 1/5 mile on the Park Drive and at every vehicle exit.
- Reflective clothing is encouraged at night.
Rules for Vehicles
- Park Drives are closed at all times to private and unauthorized vehicles, but actively utilized by park operations vehicles.
- Always be mindful of vehicles on the Park Drives. Even though drives are closed to traffic, authorized vehicles may be present.
- Authorized vehicles are required to follow the posted speed limit on the drives.