Park Drive Rules + Safety
To ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment of Prospect Park, please follow these rules and safety guidelines when utilizing the Park Drives.
Rules for Cyclists and Skaters
- Bicycling and skating are permitted only on the main Park Drive, Center Drive and Wellhouse Drive, and prohibited on pedestrian paths. All patrons must walk your bike on pedestrian paths, except for children under the age of 14.
- Cyclists and skaters must travel in a counterclockwise direction and use the center lane, and can use the right lane to pass. When passing, please be mindful of authorized vehicles utilizing the right lane.
- Cyclists and skaters must not exceed a maximum speed limit of 15 miles per hour, and must follow all traffic signs and signals. Bicycles must stop at red lights.
- Bicycles must be equipped with bells or similar warning devices, and have headlights, tail lights and reflectors after dark.
- Helmets are required for children 14 and under, and are suggested for everyone riding bikes or skating.
Rules for Vehicles
- Park Drives are closed at all times to private and unauthorized vehicles.
- Always be mindful of vehicles on the Park Drives. Even though drives are closed to traffic, authorized vehicles may be present.
Rules for Pedestrians and General Safety Guidelines
- Pedestrians (runners, walkers, children under 14 on bikes) must use the designated pedestrian lane, located along the interior of the park, and may travel in either direction.
- Pedestrians at crosswalks should push the traffic signal button, and wait for a walk signal then proceed with caution, and obey all traffic signals and road signs on the Drive.
- There is a yellow emergency call box approximately every 1/5 mile on the Park Drive and at every vehicle exit.
- Reflective clothing is encouraged at night.